WA 206.262.0561
BC 604.330.5550

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

deferred action

Our Seattle Immigration Lawyers Walk You Through the DACA Process

On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal, and would then subsequently be eligible for work authorization. The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) case process is fairly straightforward, although the paperwork might seem daunting. Our Seattle immigration attorneys at Millar & Hayes will help determine whether or not you already qualify for DACA. If you are not qualified, in some instances, you may be able to take certain actions in order to become qualified. If this is the case, we will work to provide you with a detailed plan that you can follow in order to become qualified.

When all of the necessary documents have been assembled, the attorney will then file your application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). As part of this process you must complete a background check, which includes finger printing. Once your background check is completed, the USCIS will judge your application.

Requirements and Proof

If you are in removal proceedings, have a final removal order, or have a voluntary departure order, but are not in immigration detention, you may be younger than 15 years old at the time you submit your request. Our firm can work with you to see if you meet the requirements and put together the necessary proof — which includes identity — in order to build the strongest possible case. Some of the criteria for DACA include:

  • Proof of immigration status: prove that you entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or that your lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;
  • Proof that you came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday. Anyone requesting consideration for deferred action under this process must have been under 31 years old as of June 15, 2012.
  • Proof of Identity: including passport or national identity document from your country of origin, birth certificate with photo identification, school or military ID with photo, and any U.S. government document bearing your name and photo
  • Proof of Continuous Presence in the U.S.: rent receipts, utility bills, employment, school and/or military records.
  • Proof of Student Status: School records, diplomas, or certificates.
  • Proof that you are an honorably discharged veteran: Military records, certificate of release or discharge from active duty
  • Proof that you not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
  • If you are serious about getting legal assistance a consultation is the best place to start. Spend up to a full hour with an immigration attorney to discuss the details of your case, get answers to your questions, work through complex issues and supporting documents and plan an immigration strategy for obtaining benefits.

    Schedule a Consultation

    We Can Help You Achieve Your Goals.

      It doesn't matter.

    Seattle Office
    • Phone: (206) 262-0561
    • Fax: (206) 262-0562
    • Address:
      2633 Eastlake Ave E Suite 300
      Seattle, WA 98102
    • Hours:
      Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
    • Get Directions
    Vancouver Office
    • Phone: (604) 330-5550
    • Fax: (604) 357-1695
    • Address:
      744 West Hastings Street Suite 718
      Vancouver BC V6C 1A5
    • Hours:
      Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
    • Get Directions
    © 2016 Millar & Hayes. This web site is for advertising and information purposes only. Our Privacy Policy.