WA 206.262.0561
BC 604.330.5550

Family-based Green Cards

US citizen with foreign spouse, green card

Adjustment of Status Applications

Becoming a Legal Permanent U.S. Resident

If you are physically in the United States, and got here through legal means, you are likely eligible to adjust to immigrant status. This means you are able to obtain a Green Card, establishing your ability to work and reside in the United States of America. This process is called an "adjustment of status" because you are changing from a visitor with a visa to an immigrant with Legal Permanent Resident status.

Several types of Green Cards are available:

  • Family Green Cards for spouses and children of Green Card holders or of U.S. citizens
  • Job-related Green Cards if you are offered employment by a United States company or for specialized jobs.
  • Refugee and asylum Green Cards for protection from oppression in your country of origin
  • Fiancée Green Cards while you are waiting to marry your future spouse, who may be a citizen already
  • Special immigrant juvenile cards for abused and neglected children
  • We guide you through every step of applying for adjustment of status, such as:

  • Filing a petition based upon your type of, or reason for requesting a, visa – family, job, special circumstances, or humanitarian work
  • Advising you as to due dates and availability for your particular type of visa
  • Filing an application for permanent residency, based on the reason for your request
  • Fingerprinting and photographing for your identification card
  • Counseling you through the application interview
  • Appealing the decision if your application is rejected
  • Issues that may hinder adjustment of status applications include health issues, criminal history, documentation problems and violations of immigration. If any of these issues apply to you, contact us. We are highly experienced in overcoming these hurdles to U.S. immigration.


    If you are serious about getting legal assistance a consultation is the best place to start. Spend up to a full hour with an immigration attorney to discuss the details of your case, get answers to your questions, work through complex issues and supporting documents and plan an immigration strategy for obtaining benefits.

    Schedule a Consultation

    Family: Legal Permanent Residence Eligibility

    The following relatives of United States citizens are eligible to apply for permanent resident status under the category of Immigrant Relative of a U.S. Citizen:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried or married, minor or adult child
  • Sibling (sponsor must be an adult)
  • Parent (sponsor must be an adult)
  • The wait times for each category vary widely; consult one of our U.S. immigration lawyers to find out what the current wait times are.

    Green Cards for Family of Legal Permanent Residents

    Current lawful permanent residents may also petition for certain eligible relatives to also come and live permanently in the United States. The spouse or unmarried son or daughter of any age of a lawful permanent resident may also enter the U.S. if a family-based visa petition has been approved in their behalf. The number of relatives who may immigrate under these categories each year is limited, so there is a waiting period before an immigrant visa number becomes available. The waiting periods differ from category to category.

    We Can Help You Achieve Your Goals.

    Anti-Spam: type the characters that you see below. This confirms that you are a real person and not a spam-bot.

    Seattle Office
    • Phone: (206) 262-0561
    • Fax: (206) 262-0562
    • Address:
      2633 Eastlake Ave E Suite 300
      Seattle, WA 98102
    • Hours:
      Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
    • Get Directions
    Vancouver Office
    • Phone: (604) 330-5550
    • Fax: (604) 357-1695
    • Address:
      744 West Hastings Street Suite 718
      Vancouver BC V6C 1A5
    • Hours:
      Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
    • Get Directions
    © 2016 Millar & Hayes. This web site is for advertising and information purposes only. Our Privacy Policy.