skip to Main Content

Investor Visas

Only nationals of countries that have a treaty of trade and commerce with the U.S. can apply for an E visa.E-1 & E-2 Visa Application Representation

Assistance from Our Immigration Lawyers

Our firm regularly handles E-1 and E-2 cases for small, medium and large companies across many industries (construction, mining, agriculture, real estate, engineering, software, staffing, architecture). Only nationals of countries that have a treaty of trade and commerce with the U.S. can apply for an E visa. Generally, these are executives, managers, supervisors or essential employees from a foreign company who are issued five year nonimmigrant visas to work temporarily in the U.S.

Once an E registration for the company is achieved with the first visa issued, the company can request visas for persons with the same nationality as the majority owners of the company. E visas are very helpful for persons who do not otherwise qualify for L-1 or TN status and also for contractors to foreign companies who are useful in the U.S.

E-2 Visas for the Business Investor

In order to qualify for an E-2 visa, it is necessary to demonstrate that you have made or are in the process of making a substantial investment into an active company (real and operating) owned at least 50% by treaty nationals. The business must not be too weak to hire people outside the investor’s family (marginal), and the investment funds must be full committed (at-risk) and from a legal source.

If you are granted an E-2 visa, it is important to know that your dependent spouse can also get a visa and may live and work in the United States, with subsequent work authorization known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Dependent children under 21 can be issued E visas and may live in the U.S. but cannot work.

There are many nuances to the E visa category, and we have years of experience handling complex cases. We can advise on avoiding common pitfalls and overcoming complications.

Investor Green Cards

An EB-5 visa can directly get an applicant a green card through investment – to learn more about EB-5 visas, PRESS HERE .


E-2 Visa holders must have invested or be actively in the process of investing.

The E-2 investor must show that he or she has either made a substantial investment or is actively in the process of making a substantial investment in the enterprise. Where an enterprise is in the process of formation, it must be show that the funds have committed and are at risk. The funds must be irrevocably committed to the business.

A qualifying investment must be a real and active commercial or entrepreneurial undertaking, producing some service or commodity. An investment is the treaty investor’s placing of capital, including funds and other assets at risk in the commercial sense with the objective of generating a profit.

E-2 visa holders must have a controlling interest in the enterprise.

An interest of less than 50 percent usually will mean that the E-2 visa applicant does not have the requisite control, particularly in smaller enterprises. However, an equal share of the investment in a joint venture or equal partnership of two partners generally does give controlling interest, if the joint venture and partner each retain full management rights and responsibilities.

The E-2 investment must be substantial

No set dollar amount constitutes a minimum amount of investment to be considered “substantial” for E-2 purposes. This requirement is met by satisfying the “proportionality test.” The test is a comparison between two figures: the amount of qualifying funds invested and the fair market value of the established business, or, if a newly created business, the cost of establishing such a business.

The E-2 enterprise must be more than marginal

The E-2 visa applicant must not be investing in a marginal enterprise solely for the purpose of earning a living. An E-2 visa applicant is not entitled to E-2 classification if the investment, even if substantial, will return only enough income to provide a living for the applicant and family. The enterprise must have the present or future capacity to generate more than enough income to provide a minimal living for the treaty investor and his or her family or the capacity to make a significant economic contribution.

Nonimmigrant Intent

An applicant for an E-2 visa need not establish intent to proceed to the U.S. for a specific period of time. Although an initial two-year period of admission is granted to persons coming to the U.S., this period can be extended indefinitely. Extensions of temporary stay, however, may be granted in increments of not more that two years.

Spouse and Children

There is no derivative E visa category. Therefore, the spouses and children (unmarried and under 21) of a principal E nonimmigrant are admitted in the same category as the principal.

E spouses are eligible to apply for work authorization. E children do not have authorization to work in the U.S.


Working with investor visa cases is our bread and butter. We handle these types of cases continuously and we do so with the professionalism, care and diligence that you expect. We provide full service representation for filing in the U.S., processing at the consulate in the foreign country, and entering the U.S. We defend against actions and requests for evidence from the government and guide the case through the processing to ensure it is handled properly. Due to the federal nature of immigration law, we serve clients in all U.S. states and throughout the world. Contact us for more information or to start your case. If you are serious about getting legal assistance a consultation is the best place to start. Spend up to a full hour with an immigration attorney to discuss the details of your case, get answers to your questions, work through complex issues and supporting documents and plan an immigration strategy for obtaining benefits.


Back To Top
×Close search